Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Jimmy V's with Audrey and Melanie





This was out after church brunch that the three of us engage in regularly.  Sunday we went to the 10 AM service at First Community Church in Grandview and decided to drive up 5th Ave in search of a restaurant.  We came to Jimmy V's and were delighted to find it was open at 11 AM.

We have eaten here several times and often outside, but this Sunday we opted for dining in the restaurant and were delighted to find ourselves the only diners.  Audrey ordered Orange Juice which came in a generous glass but it was frothy and a weird color.  However, she thought it tasted fine.



  The breakfast menu had some very different offerings and we three each had a different meal:  I had Jimmy V's omelet which included gyro meat, feta cheese, tomatoes, onions, olives and a side of taziki sauce.




 Melanie had Jimmy's traditional breakfast : 3 scrambled eggs blended with ajvar (delicious red pepper relish)




 Audrey had the San Antonio Skillet with house  made sausage over hash browns with scrambled eggs on top.
Audrey could not finish - loved the sauce and said there was "way more chicken" than she needed.

The waitress was outstanding.  I complimented the coffee and she shared that she makes it extra strong which is why I like it.  Both Audrey and Melanie are gluten free and they received gluten free buns and Melanie's sausage was cooked to match the bun size.  The meals were all very good and definitely out of the norm.  Melanie was pleased that her eggs were not too spicy but very tasty.  My Greek eggs were delicious and I loved the taziki sauce on the side.

Our conversation was - not surprisingly - about church.  We go to that service to receive communion and that was a highlight for me.  There was a wonderful reading by Thomas Merton in the bulletin that I really appreciated.  We sang "Lord of the Dance" with an organ accompaniment and I would have preferred a piano.  I know that is nit picky - but it matters to me.  The sermon disappointed me a little because it did not seem to match the overall theme of the service.  However, Audrey keeps telling me to lower my expectations.

We really like this restaurant.  It has terrazo tile floors, borwn booths, a wooden table and it was very comfortable for three.  It had a pokemon stop for Audrey.  We agreed there was a nostalgic feel to the decor and pictures and I especially appreciated eating beneath this picture of Marlon Brando.

As we left there were people eating outside but we were very happy with our choice of inside eating since it was getting pretty warm out.  Overall, I would absolutely recommend Jimmy V's for a different and very delicious breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment